Friday, March 9, 2012

'Groundhog Day' movie - psychological meanings?

Is there some similarity within this film about being 'locked-in' to a mental state suffered by those with dementia and/or amnesia...?



If so I'd be grateful to know of some parts of the movie theme that present that similarity.'Groundhog Day' movie - psychological meanings?
Well, you could start with the fact that Bill Murray openly states he has no idea how many times he had relived that same day. How is that similar to dementia?

Allow me to retell a story about my grandmother when she was in the first five years down her path of dementia hell.



So, after a six week absence I visit my grandmother, and notice by chance that the same book is on the coffee table that I saw from my last visit. Knowing full well that my grandmother, fluent in four languages, was a very fast reader, I asked why she was still reading the same book.



Her response was touching, heart warming and all together revealing insight into this disease. She said plainly " Well, it's a good book, and with my memory fading as fast as it has been, I can read a chapter, and within 48 hours, I don't remember so much that I cannot continually reread that same chapter."



The blur, the fog, the confusion... the part that is often hard for people who are forgetting their own life is, they don't remember how much it is that they have forgotten. Bill Murray had lived a full life in a single day. He learned musical instruments, associated with all the people he could reach and his original life, and perhaps even his perpetually retold life were both a blur. Not a single line in this movie was unforgettable, but Mr Murray's performance, and the concept of the film are iconic and will be difficult to copy without coming off as cheap.'Groundhog Day' movie - psychological meanings?
look at the legacy part of the article on groundhog day movie

//it's not similar to dementia or amnesia because he remembered everything from the previous days.'Groundhog Day' movie - psychological meanings?
yes i agree
  • fashion week 2011
  • syndicates
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment